Friday, December 28, 2007

More on the importance of journaling
...and a tribute to Leta


My hubby's grandma passed away yesterday. This is a sad event, but she was in her late 80's and lived a good life, and she died peacefully, so it's ok. The thing that makes me really happy, though, is that she told me I could have all her writings. Whether or not you believe in life after death, her journal is a little piece of her that will live on for years and years.

We went to visit her on Wednesday, two days ago, in the hospital. While we were there she said that she had written in her notebook just that morning, and she'd been keeping up with her writing. I asked her whether she had any special plans or wishes for her writing, and she said she didn't think so. I asked her whether I could have them to type up and make into a book for the family to keep, and she said that she didn't know why I'd want to do that since she didn't write about anything special; just her day to day life.

Maybe it's the fact that I was a history major and appreciate the sacredness of the everyday, but I told her that I thought that in 200 years people might be really fascinated by her day to day life. Then she thought for a second about whether she'd written anything negative about anyone, and she'd decided that she hadn't, so it was ok for me to have her writings, but I should be aware of the fact that her writing was awful.

I'm incredibly excited to type them up - they're like a little treasure chest of her thoughts and feelings, and I can't wait to see what we might learn about her from her journals.

IN OTHER NEWS, I'm currently writing with a pentel metallic gel pen in green. I'm a big fan of these pens and always have been. Not only do they write great and have a perfectly sized barrel, but they also don't last very long (about a week), which in my opinion is a good thing since I'm totally ADD when it comes to pens.

No comments: